Yes, double stars do exist. They are a reality.
They appear in the firmament – sometimes as an optical and sometimes as a physical phenomenon. Two celestial bodies, working in relation to each other, circling around each other, responding to each other. Both in a delicate balance. In the German language this rare astronomical occurrence is called a "Doppelstern".
Yet the double stars at issue here have not fallen from the sky, even if it sometimes sounds like it. Barbara Morgenstern – the great Berlin composer, lyricist, musician and choir director – has conceived them, formed them and let them rain down upon us like a meteor shower.
Three years after her previous English-language album "Sweet Silence", Barbara Morgenstern is in possession of a marvellous new metaphor for a shining new creative principle. The idea was actually a hint from Justus Köhncke, with whom she also forms a double star. The concept has resulted in a great new album.
In various studios and different constellations, across continents and neighborhoods, a veritable solar system has come into existence. Let's listen into it!
It shimmers. Unbelievable. So many facets.
Each piece is unique due to its double star constellation. Let's call them by name: T.Raumschmiere, Hauschka, Gudrun Gut, Justus Köhncke, Corey Dargel, Lucrecia Dalt, Julia Kent, Coppé, Tonia Reeh, Richard Davis, Jacaszek.
And each piece is connected to the other through Barbara Morgenstern and her songs. Let's also call them by name: Was du nicht siehst. Meins sollte meins sein. Too much. Übermorgen. No One Nowhere Cares. Gleich ist gleicher als gleich. Facades. Aglow. Schieß den Bock. Lost in a fiction. Den kommenden Morgen.
Barbara Morgenstern's song titles by are already poetry when simply lined-up alongside each other. And as complete lyrics in collaboration with the aforementioned partner stars they shine sometimes brighter than a supernova, and other times as delicately as a firefly. Between song-craft and krautrock, electronic listening and dance pop, an entire glittering galaxy of sounds and songs unfolds in front of us. That's Barbara Morgenstern's "Doppelstern".
Do not miss this celestial phenomenon under any circumstances.
- Was Du nicht siehst - w. T.Raumschmiere (Maobeat/ Random Noize)
- Meins sollte Meins sein - w. Hauschka (Maobeat/ Ed. Needlewood)
- Too Much - w. Gudrun Gut (Maobeat/ Ed. Golden Good)
- Übermorgen - w. Justus Köhnke + Robert Lippok (Maobeat/ No Limits)
- No One Nowhere Cares – w. Corey Dargel (Maobeat)
- Gleich ist Gleicher als Gleich – w. Lucrecia Dalt (Maobeat/ Secretly Canadian)
- Facades – w. Julia Kent (Maobeat)
- Aglow – w. Coppé (Maobeat)
- Schieß den Bock – w. Tonia Reeh (Maobeat)
- Lost in a Fiction – w. Richard Davis (Maobeat)
- Den kommenden Morgen – w. Jacaszek (Maobeat)
Produced by Barbara Morgenstern and Collaborators
Additional Production T.Raumschmiere
All songs mixed by T.Raumschmiere at Random Noize Studio / Berlin
|2015||Finishing "Doppelstern", Choir Work "Fragen an das Licht" for the Zero retrospective/ Martin Gropius Bau + Atonal Festival Berlin|
|2014||Recordings for "Doppelstern", Musical Direction Radioplay "Qualitätskonrolle" by Rimini Protokoll, Production of "Stille Vann" - female Bandproject by barner 16|
|2013||Musical direction for "Qualitätskontrolle" by Rimini Protokoll, Staatstheater Stuttgart|
|2013||Choir work ("California"/HKW, "Virtuosity"/Kammermusiksaal Berliner Philharmonie, etc.)|
|2012||Release of the album "Sweet Silence" and live shows|
|2012||Musical direction and choir work for "Lagos Business Angels" by Rimini Protokoll, HAU 1, Theater Hebbel am Ufer, Berlin|
info [yeah] barbaramorgenstern [yeah] de
Media Loca - info [yeah] media-loca [yeah] com (Mo Loschelder)
Alles Los Agency - jeroen [yeah] alleslos [yeah] nl (Jeroen van den Bogert)
Bit-Phalanx - bookings [yeah] bit-phalanx [yeah] com (Léigh Bartlam)
Please give credits to the photographer:
Mara von Kummer
- Monika Werkstatt Berlin mit ANDRAA, P.Krach, Danielle de Piciotto, Islaja + BM, Schokoladen Berlin 31 May 2018 Schokoladen Berlin
- Chor der Kulturen der Welt + Matthew Herbert Brexit Big Band, HKW, Berlin, Wassermusik Festival 28 Jul 2018 Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- Chor der Kulturen der Welt, Garbicz Festival, PL 2 Aug 2018